Friday, January 2, 2009

Crab-Stuffed Shrimp

Crab-stuffed shrimp. This little delight is only created in my kitchen once a year. It's not really that difficult, it's just a New Year's Eve tradition thing.
Here are the ingredients. The king crab is leftover crab from feasts throughout the year. I just tuck the leftovers in a freezer bag to save for this dish.
First, thaw, peel and de-vein the shrimp. Usually, raw shrimp are gray and cooked shrimp are pink. This was a bag of raw PINK shrimp. It was the only bag of right size shrimp I could find. You'll want shrimp in the 26-30 count range.

I shredded the crab, added a good amount of shredded Parmesan cheese, and crumbled about 7 crackers into the bowl. Saltines work well, or anything you have saltine-like. Then I sprinkled Old Bay seasoning over it all and plop in about a half-cup of mayo. I also add about two tablespoons of melted butter. Then, mash it all together, and take little balls of the mixture and place them on the shrimp's back. Bring the tail end over the top. Here is a baking sheet ready to go.

I put these in a 350 degree oven until the shrimp were done, and the mixture turned just a little bit brown.

These cupcakes have nothing to do with the crab-stuffed shrimp recipe, except that they arrived from my neighbor's house while I was making the shrimp. Aren't they pretty cupcakes? They tasted good, too.


Here are the shrimp all done. Pop them onto a serving tray. I share them with neighbors on New Year's Eve. They are so yummy, I always wonder why I don't make them any other time of year....but why mess with tradition?

No comments: