Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Butternut Squash Soup Experiment

Some butternut squash arrived in my "organic box" delivery last week, and my friend told me about a fabulous butternut squash soup she had recently. So, I gave it a try. I didn't have the exact recipe, so I did some research and experimented.

First, I roasted the squash. I cut it in half, poked some holes on both sides, brushed with a little oil, sprinkled with salt, pepper and a little sugar. I cooked the squash at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes, until it was soft. I only used the neck so I didn't have to deal with seeds.

I sauteed some chopped up carrots, celery and onion until it was all soft and caramelized. I scooped out the squash into my food processor, added the carrot mixture, and some chicken broth, salt, pepper, a little cayenne pepper, a little half and half, a piece of crisp bacon and a teaspoon of bacon grease. I swirled it around and then put it in a sauce pan to gently bubble until warm. Verdict? It was good! A little too much celery, I think, but really good.

No comments: