Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Homemade Gravy

A few days ago, I showed you this gravy-in-the-making when I roasted turkey thighs, onions, carrots and garlic. The pan drippings and ingredients were pushed through a sieve with the resulting "gravy base" refrigerated. I scraped the fat from the top and used it for this batch of gravy to with our late Thanksgiving turkey dinner this week. The base can also be frozen. For this gravy, whisk the base, flour, a little butter, a little white wine, and a dash of thyme over medium heat. Salt and pepper to taste after the gravy thickens. I like to make the gravy base ahead of time so I don't feel any gravy stress - because I've made some really awful gravy from turkey drippings while the bird is being carved. The make-ahead base also has a nice brown color.

No comments: