Thursday, January 22, 2009

Meat Sauce for Freezing

Homemade spaghetti meat sauce with a little cheating. I sauteed two medium diced onions and an entire head of garlic - I ran each clove through a garlic press. I let everything get a little brown.

I added hamburger and mild Italian sausage. As the meat browned, I broke it up with a potato masher.

Here it is ready for the sauce. This part can be done several different ways. I added two cans of crushed tomatoes, a can of diced tomatoes and a jar of Barilla tomato and basil sauce. I didn't have any plain tomato sauce in my pantry. I also diced up a couple of tomatoes that were getting a little too ripe, and plopped those in.

I let it all simmer for a couple of hours and then tasted it. I added some dried basil and oregano and garlic powder, and a few whole cloves of garlic. I let this all simmer all day.

I served some up for dinner with spaghetti noodles, and put the rest in freezer bags to use on nights when I don't have time to make dinner.

No comments: