Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Cheesy Egg Goo - a Family Favorite

Let's have breakfast! This is the highly sophisticated dish of "cheesy egg goo" that my family loves.
First, get some bacon cooking. I like to use extra-thick sliced bacon, and if I haven't told you before, I'm telling you now. NEVER FRY BACON. Really. You bake bacon. Crowd it into a dish with a little bit of a side on it. Heat the oven to 350 degrees and pop it in. You do not have to turn the bacon at all during cooking. It doesn't splatter, and it doesn't make as much bacon smell as frying it. Check it at 25 minutes - cook to your preference. We like it crisp!
When you check the bacon, go ahead and start the hash browns. I use the frozen ones found in any grocery freezer case. Put some oil in the pan to brown them up, and season with seasoning salt.The bacon is done. Doesn't it look good? Remember, you don't turn it, just let it bake.
When the hash browns are browned up nicely, I add a little bit of Kraft singles cheese, I just tear it up into pieces. Then I add the chopped bacon, be sure to leave good-sized chunks. And now we lower the heat because the eggs are next.

I used four eggs for this dish, you can use however many you want. Mix in the bacon a bit. Then, beat the eggs and then pour them over everything. The goal now is just to stir things around so the eggs are cooked.

This is really good just like this. But at this point, we add shredded cheddar and Monterrey Jack cheese blend and let it melt. I didn't post a picture because we were all so hungry, we ate it before the photo opportunity.









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous! Don't forget the coffee!

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot, it's 9:00pm and I want breakfast!! haha

I never knew you could bake bacon and from now on I will. This looks so yummy!