Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Proto's - Restaurant Review

We went to dinner at Proto's in downtown Boise this week. The restaurant is in the BoDo district. I was attracted to the sidewalk dining, and the food smelled really good. They advertise that they serve "Neapolitan-style" pizza. I'm not expert enough to know about that, but what they serve is pizza on a cracker-crisp thin crust. A large pepperoni is pictured. It didn't get kudos from my family because the cracker crust was salty, and the pizza toppings were skimpy - although I'm sure they had to be to match the crust. Not much flavor. My daughter actually spit out what she was chewing on one point because her 6-year old taste buds found so objectionable. We started dinner with salads.
This is the Caesar salad. It is normally served with white anchovies, I declined mine. The salad is listed on the menu as featuring "handmade croutons" - which turned out to be this piece of pizza crust that was so hard, I couldn't even bite into it. The fresh grated cheese on the salad was good. The dressing was bland.

My husband had the tomato and fresh mozzarella salad. The menu said it was sprinkled with kosher salt, and obviously, it wasn't, but my husband said it was good. He liked the balsamic vinegar.
We didn't opt for dessert. While the food was not a hit with us, we really liked the outdoor seating and it was the perfect night in Boise to sit outside.
If this is your favorite restaurant, please let me know. I feel bad not giving it glowing reviews, but it just didn't work for my family.

No comments: